[bpfk-announce] Re: BPFK

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Matt Arnold wrote:

> On 12/21/06, Adam D. Lopresto <adam@pubcrawler.org> wrote:
> >
> > Actually, what I had in mind was more like your vocabulary game.  I'd really
> > like to see a good compendium of good lojban usage, ideally encompassing
> > usage of all the cmavo (and all the uses of all of them, for those that have
> > more than one, like {bo} and {jai}), as well as all the places for all the
> > gismu.
> >
> > That's a grand vision.  In the meantime, I was thinking more of asking
> > people
> > to contribute usage examples.  I'm not at all sure about putting them on the
> > unshepherded BPFK sections.  Specifically, I fear it would look too
> > official.
>
> That's fine. If I recall correctly, you dislike jboselkei because
> unqualified reviewers can mark down a good translation without an
> explanation. That is a flaw of a system that has vast potential that
> its inventor didn't intend.

Almost.  I still like jboselkei, but I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't
reply to reviews.  So someone can post a review saying something like "{le},
not {la} should prefix {lunra} -- {lunra} is a gismu not a {cmene}" and
there's no way for me to respond back about the difference between cmene and
cmevla, and why {la lunra} is just fine.

(Taken from an actual usage; the score didn't bother me, but the lost
opportunity to teach did.)

> In my opinion, BPFK members reviews should be artificially weighted in the
> scoring.

I don't see that as necessary at all.  It is, after all, just a game.

> For a long time I have wanted there to be concordancing software for
> jboselkei. As it stands now, I think nobody can even _see_ anything in
> the site without logging in, including Google. I'd like to change that
> and add jboselkei to the Lojban Custom Google Search (sisyjbo or
> something?).

That would be dandy.

> If that concordancing feature is added to jboselkei, it can be a place
> where good usage is enshrined, *and* bad usage is pointed out as what
> not to do. It's already 90% of the way to what you want. I've never
> come up with an idea that came closer, since the pixra game was going
> to create gibberish.

The real missing link is that jboselkei, at least as it currently describes
itself, is about translating English to Lojban.  So I can ask "translate
'foo'", but I can't ask "Please use the word {fu} in a sentence", without
first thinking of an English sentence that I hope translates that way.

There's nothing technically stopping it from being (ab)used that way, but if
that's a goal a lot of the support text should probably be altered.

> Your expansion on the concept of mini-proposals sounds great. When I
> said "at least it would be better than nothing", I didn't aim for it
> to be a replacement in the best-case or middle-case scenario. I was
> acknowledging the worst-case scenario, and pointing out even in the
> worst case we would be better off.

je'e
--
Adam Lopresto
http://cec.wustl.edu/~adam/

Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.