Re: [bpfk] Officially updating "Complete Lojban Language" grammar book. An official LLG proposal passed. Your help needed.

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 19.24.32 EDT Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> Not quite directly relevant to this, but also regarding hyphens:  I
> recall long LONG ago, when I was making a lujvo of vofli+litru, (to
> express just "flying along"; it looks like vofli alone would have worked
> okay, but it may have had a different place structure then, or maybe I
> just didn't realize it.  Not the point), with the rafsi -voi- plus
> -li'u-, obviously I need a consonant hyphen to get the required
> consonant cluster, but the rules stipulated that it *had* to be -r-,
> thus, voirli'u. which at least to my articulatory organs felt quite
> awkward.  It winds up being closer to 4 syllables than 3; the -r-
> becomes vocalic, or nearly so.  Not so if I had been allowed to say
> *voinli'u.  Is there a reason to forbid giving the speaker a choice
> regarding the consonant-hyphen, given that there are only two(?) allowed
> anyway?

If you allowed the speaker the choice of hyphen-letter (or interfix), then
pandas would be younger than their species.

You're using the English /ɹ/, right? In English <fire> is phonemically /faiɹ/,
but phonetically [faiəɹ], because it's hard to say /ɹ/ right after a closing
diphthong. (I guess this accounts for <fiery>, but why not *<wiery>?) Try a
different rhotic, like /r/ or /ɾ/.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du