[dracyselkei] Re: Let's try this again.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:41:23PM -0700, Ted Reed wrote:
>> If you would (still) like to participate, please send me (or the
>> list, I don't much care) a list of fictional universes you are
>> familiar with and might like to play in.  There's be enough new
>> things going on that I'd really like to stick with something
>> everyone knows.  If you are familiar with particular role-playing
>> systems, say those too.
>>
>> Note that I have a strong preference for universes with magic or
>> equivalents (psychic powers, ridiculously advanced tech,
>> whatever) and the possibility of super-powerful player.
>
> I've been reading the Amber series lately, and that might be an
> interesting setting.

Agreed.

> (Incidently there exists already a diceless system for it.)

Which I own.  :)

My plan, regardless of setting, is to use FATE.  If it turns out
that a majority of players want another system, that can be done,
but AFAIK out of 4-5 interested parties at least 2 have never RPGd
before.

> Other possibilities are BSG, Firefly...

Both quite a bit underpowered for my taste.

> Um, suggest something.

OK.

First of all, my default here is the basic D&D universe (3rd ed
specifically) because "everybody knows that".  Except, of course,
that some people here *don't*.  If we can't come up with something
satisfying, though, we'll do that.

Lists of other possibilities in my mind follow; two categories,
otherwise not in order.

	    Universes I'd Be Happy With:

Midkemia (Feist's world, specifically as in Magician: Master)

Hyperboria (Conan)

The Wheel Of Time universe (Robert Jordan) (in the distant past
golden age, preferrably)

The Sword Of Truth universe (Terry Goodkind) (in the distant
pastgolden age, preferrably)

The Rifts universe (it's an RPG)

Basically any White Wolf universe (also RPGs)

The In Nomine universe (another RPG)

The Warhammer 40,000 universe (tabletop game) (that'd be hella cool,
actually, but I'm sure most of you aren't familiar with it)

Star Wars (distant past)

Any universe by Neal Asher

The Ravenloft universe (old D&D setting)

The Spelljammer universe (old D&D setting)

	    Universes I'd Be Fully Willing To Run:

Arda (Tolkien's universe; bit underpowered for my taste unless y'all
want to play maiar or something)

The Chronicles Of Prydain universe (Lloyd Alexander)

The Dark Is Rising universe (Susan Cooper)

Star Wars (current time setting)

Cthulhu

Amber Chronicles universe (Zelazny) (my main reluctance here has to
do with not knowing if I can pull off courtly intrigue)

Any portion of Moorcock's Eternal Champion universe (Elric, in
particular)

Eddings' Belgeriad universe

LNC (a bit burnt on it still, but I could manage)

Orion's Arm (the power curve for non-superintelligences is rather
limited)

Jade Empire (computer game)

The Honor Harrington universe (not that I don't like the universe,
just that I'm not sure I can pull off political intrigue)

Transhuman Space (RPG)

The Dune universe (see Honor Harrington)

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/