[dracyselkei] Re: Let's try this again.

On 9/21/07, Theodore Reed <ted.reed@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

OK, so this is quite a list. Some of these are way more obscure than
anything I'd've thought to suggest.

> > My plan, regardless of setting, is to use FATE.  If it turns out
> > that a majority of players want another system, that can be done,
> > but AFAIK out of 4-5 interested parties at least 2 have never RPGd
> > before.
>
> I've never heard of FATE, but the system means less than the story, really.

It's a Fudge implementation, and the engine behind the Spirit of the
Century RPG (which defaults to 1920s pulp, and is quite entertaining).

Actually, 20s pulp a la SotC (for which most of the documentation is
online, and for the very few setting things that aren't just "it's the
world of 20s pulps" I could fill you in as I have the book) would be
an entertaining one too.

> > First of all, my default here is the basic D&D universe (3rd ed
> > specifically) because "everybody knows that".  Except, of course,
> > that some people here *don't*.  If we can't come up with something
> > satisfying, though, we'll do that.
>
> "Basic D&D Universe"? I'm unaware of a basic setting.

There isn't one, but it has a specific flavor that is present in just
about all D&D worlds.

> > Lists of other possibilities in my mind follow; two categories,
> > otherwise not in order.
> >
> >             Universes I'd Be Happy With:
> >
> > Midkemia (Feist's world, specifically as in Magician: Master)
>
> Never heard of it.

Me neither, but I'll try anything once.

> > Hyperboria (Conan)
>
> Never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian

The setting is a mythical prehistoric Earth.

> > The Wheel Of Time universe (Robert Jordan) (in the distant past
> > golden age, preferrably)
>
> Never read it.

It's only about two steps removed from a generic D&D world, so if
you're used to those you'll do fine.

> > The Sword Of Truth universe (Terry Goodkind) (in the distant
> > pastgolden age, preferrably)
>
> Big fan of the series, good possibility.

Never read it, myself, but again, I'll try anything once.

> > The Rifts universe (it's an RPG)
>
> Heard of it, but only just barely.

Heard of it, doesn't sound like my cup of tea but I'll give it a try.

> > Basically any White Wolf universe (also RPGs)
>
> I've played Vampire (the first one), Werewolf, Changeling, Mage. I had
> the book for the wild west Werewolf, which looked interesting, but I
> never got a chance to try it out.

I've played the old versions of the core three, and none of the new versions.

> > The In Nomine universe (another RPG)
>
> Never heard of it.

Played it, and didn't like it - but it was the fault of a really
railroady GM; the setting itself seemed to have a lot of promise.

> > The Warhammer 40,000 universe (tabletop game) (that'd be hella cool,
> > actually, but I'm sure most of you aren't familiar with it)
>
> Only vaguely familiar with it.

Same here.

> > Star Wars (distant past)
>
> A possibility.

Yeah. It's another "everybody knows it" one, especially as we're all geeks here.

> > Any universe by Neal Asher
>
> Never heard of it.

Me neither, but willing to learn.

> > The Ravenloft universe (old D&D setting)
>
> Played in one short-lived campaign. It was interesting, though.

I could take it or leave it, myself.

> > The Spelljammer universe (old D&D setting)
>
> I once jumped in on a high-level SJ campaign. It was interesting.

I've heard good things about it.

> >             Universes I'd Be Fully Willing To Run:
> >
> > Arda (Tolkien's universe; bit underpowered for my taste unless y'all
> > want to play maiar or something)
>
> I'm not sure Tolkein ever really specified much about how magic works
> for this to be feasible.

It's gotta be underpowered if it's going to be done, I think; magic in
arda is fundamentally a rarity.

> > The Chronicles Of Prydain universe (Lloyd Alexander)
>
> Never heard of it.

It's been ages since I've read any Alexander, so I'd need a refresher
on the setting, but I remember liking the books.

> > The Dark Is Rising universe (Susan Cooper)
>
> Never heard of it.

Read it; it was good.

> > Star Wars (current time setting)

Like other Star Wars, it's another hyper-accessible setting. It'd be a
bit lower-powered than a Republic-era or earlier game, I suspect.

> > Cthulhu
>
> Heard of it, never read it.

That makes it far better.

> > Amber Chronicles universe (Zelazny) (my main reluctance here has to
> > do with not knowing if I can pull off courtly intrigue)

Never read it, but heard good things about it.

> I'm not sure you'd have to pull it off. That'd mostly be up to the
> players. The other thing to consider is the amount of "behind the
> other players' backs" RPing that would have to go on.

Yeah, but in online play that gets easier.

> > Any portion of Moorcock's Eternal Champion universe (Elric, in
> > particular)
>
> Never heard of it.

Heard of it, never read it.

> > Eddings' Belgeriad universe
>
> Never heard of it.

Heard of it, never read it.

> > LNC (a bit burnt on it still, but I could manage)
>
> Haven't read enough of it.

Never heard of it.

> > Orion's Arm (the power curve for non-superintelligences is rather
> > limited)

Yeah, but it could be interesting.

> > Jade Empire (computer game)

Never heard of it.

> > The Honor Harrington universe (not that I don't like the universe,
> > just that I'm not sure I can pull off political intrigue)

Could be a lot of fun, if you can.

> > Transhuman Space (RPG)

Heard good things about it, but it doesn't really sound like my thing.
(But, as mentioned above, I'll give anything a try.)

> > The Dune universe (see Honor Harrington)
>
> I think I'd find this boring, oddly enough.

I think doing it well would also run into the political intrigue problem.