Re: [lojban] Re: [jboske] Quantifiers, Existential Import, and all that stuff

la pycyn cusku di'e

[empty lo'i broda]
What about {su'o broda cu zasti}? Presumably false, but also I-, so it ought
to be true.

It is false, and it is I+ in my system, as well as in yours.

The problem is that there are just too many non-standard
features here to keep track of -- I hope you will someday explain what the
system is here as everytime I try to work with one that looks right, it turns
out to be wrong somehow.

Well, And seems to have understood me, so I can at least consider that my failure to explain it to you may not be entirely my fault.

The set can be empty, but then the reference to its members has to be
treated in whatever way is appropriate for expressions that don't have a
referent. I'm not sure what the Lojban rule is about that, if there is one.

If you're not sure that there is a Lojban rule, why is the one I'm proposing against Lojban?

Since we don't quite know what the Lojban rules are, it is hard to say
whether yours are simpler or more elegant and, of course, it is not obvious
that simplicity and elegance in a small part should trump accuracy or
coherence in the larger language situation.

If we don't even have Lojban rules, the ones I'm proposing are not against Lojban rules. An of course if you would show that my proposal gives rise to inaccuracy or incoherence I would have to shut up about it, but you haven't.

But it may be interesting to see
whether Llamban can eventually develop into a full-scale competitor to Lojban
(maybe the beginning of LoCCan3 -- a good place to take this discussion, by
the way).

If I were interested in developing a LoCCan3, I would start with a new morphology, which I think is Lojban's greatest handicap. I hardly think the existential import of {ro} warrants a new language. Would anyone ever notice that they are two different languages?

I'm moving this back to jboske then. The problem is that
reply-to in jboske is not sent to the list, so I probably
end up bringing it back to lojban by mistake.

mu'o mi'e xorxes