Re: [jboske] Re: xoi'a

In a message dated 10/4/2002 3:42:29 PM Central Daylight Time, jjllambias@hotmail.com writes:

<<
Less than whatever stage we were at before. There is
no analogy with the integer case here, because there is
no way to do something "one less time".

?  That is, there was a retrograde?  The horse whas three-quarters the way to running a mile and then backed up a furlong?  This does not seem to me to be a useful notion at all (as the example was meant to show).  So, I assume you mean something else, but (God, I get tired of asking this) what?

<<
Any of those, I think. That the horse is running is somehow
becoming less true.

Whoa, Nelly (he said appropriately)!  Where did this "less true" line come in?  Before we were talking about making a complete instance of something, which, aside from processes, is a little hard to figure but worth some looking at.  But what does that have to do with more or less true or, worse, changing truth value toward more or less?  The analogy that was working, albeit tenuously, for a while is broken completely now (barring a quick, clear save).  Let me try what maybe is going on here -- and which works for actvities and maybe even states, though not with the notion of building a complete instance.  Moment one: horse running full out, truth of "horse running" in the upper 90's say.  Moment two: horse, slacking a bit, so truth in the 80's somewhere.  Moment three: horse surpassing previous performance, truth within a delta of 100.  Now, consider the whole period containing the three moments: it is a complete occasion of the horse running (as were, indeed, each of the moments taken singly). What does the long interval get in the {pi...re'u} system --- it ends better than it began or even than it was in the middle, as far as the truth goes.  But that is nothing about its being more or less an instance of horse running -- it is about what kind of horse running it is an instance of, if anything in this area at all (which I personally need to be convinced of now).

<<
I can't get that much detail in. Just {piza'ure'u pelxu} for
yellowing and {pime'ire'u pelxu} for de-yellowing.

But surely these are different processes not more or less complete (or retrocomplete) instances of the same process (entropy if nothing else counts here).

<<
It seems that having particular words for linear and exponential
increase is extremely over-specific. I don't think it would
correspond to anything in natlangs, would it?

Certainly nothing so simple of _expression_ nor of tis general gramamtical category, so far as I know.  But, as i said, that may no longer be what this project was after.  And now I wonder what it is after.  Maybe & will come back on this, too.