RE: [jboske] Re: xoi'a

jorge:
> I meant that the running is lessening. The most obvious interpretation
> seems to be that the horse is slowing down, somehow the event is
> getting away from a central instance of a horse running.
[...]
> Well, one way of not getting up to an instance is by not quite
> getting to fulfill the truth conditions for full instancehood.
[...]
> Consider a sheet of paper that starts being white and turns
> yellow with time. One way of describing this is to say that
> {le papri cu pelxu} starts as false and becomes more true
> as time passes. Just one way of looking at it. Then
> {le papri cu piza'ure'u pelxu} describes one point in this
> extended process.

I approve of thinking of this sort of thing as involving
degrees of truth and fluctuations in degrees of truth, but
not of doing it necessarily in terms of fractional values.
I'm just repeating what I've been saying in other messages,
so I'll just add a few examples.

First, there is a distinction between (1a) and (1b).

1a. The paper is yellow and getting (even) yellower.
1b. The paper is not yellow but is getting yellower.

Both describe movement in the same direction (towards infinite
yellowness and away from infinite unyellowness), but the
movement is within different sections of statespace (1a
within Yellow and 1b outside it).

Second, in measuring degrees of how much/how true it is that
the horse is running, there is a distinction between (2a) the
speed at which a horse is running (the faster horse running
'more' than the slower horse, even though both are indubitably
running), and (2b) a horse with some kind of indeterminate
gait that is not entirely walking (and not entirely not
running)and not entirely running, but rather something in
between, with some elements of each.

I think the pi PA system can't cover all of these & opine
that it is best suited to (2b).

--And.