Re: [jboske] RE: I like chocolate

In a message dated 10/5/2002 11:11:49 AM Central Daylight Time, cowan@ccil.org writes:

<<
I think chocolate birthday cakes are a species of chocolate, and
would find it felicitous to say "He likes chocolate" in those
circumstances.  Insofar as it is not felicitous, it is because c.b.c.'s
are not prototypical for "chocolate" (to me, chocolate bars are
prototypical).

Given a guy like that one other than Sam-I-am, who has sworn he does not like green-eggs-and-ham under any circumstances, finding that he does like them as a birthday treat allows us to dimiss his claim "I don't like 'em."  But it does not yet get us to "He likes green-eggs-and-ham," only that he does some very special times.  To get to a general "I like ..." he has to like them several out of on a boat, with a goat, up a tree, on bended knee, ...