Re: [jboske] Transfinites

Robert LeChevalier scripsit:

> So are zo'e and zi'o mutually exclusive or are they not. Your defining
> example of zi'o in CLL and explanation make them look mutually exclusive;
> your recent example involving "translated" make them look muturally
> exclusive. This explanation and prior ones I've had from you make zi'o a
> subset of zo'e (or is it vice versa) because all instances of one can be
> represented by the other.

My view is that zo'e is a spoken silence: it replaces some words or other,
and the listener is supposed to either glork from context, or else inquire,
what words those might be. So zo'e has no direct referent: rather it is
the unspoken "antecedent" (as it were) of zo'e that has a referent.
That antecedent could be zi'o or noda, but only a very specialized context
would allow the listener to properly glork that, so it is un-Gricean to
say "mi klama" when you mean "mi klama noda".

> They cannot both be exclusive and also one be inclusive of the other, and
> until it gets settled, I don't understand what anyone means when they use it.

They operate on different metalinguistic levels.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big