RE: OT: verification principle (was Re: [jboske] factivity of nu)

At 04:59 PM 1/13/03 +0000, And Rosta wrote:
Lojbab:
> (Of
> course Nick seems to think that my confidence in him is misplaced
> because I complimented him and not And. The difference is that I think
> Nick is trying to make the status quo work to his rigorous standards.)

That's right. Even if most lojbanists aren't aware of it, Nick is
the lojbanist who more than any other is working in their interests,
i.e. to produce a rigorous documented logical language that is
not needlessly discontinuous with what they have already learnt of
Lojban.

That seemed worthy of especially compliment, but Nick apparently took what I said as endorsement of his specific explanation (which in fact I had not considered in depth - I was endorsing his methodology)

As for what Nick said, I think his point was that he was outraged
that you would judge the respective quality of his and my ideas
about logic and linguistics by measuring it against our respective
degrees of fundamentalism.

I don't think I said anything about logic and linguistics. I said something complimentary about his approach to Lojban, and asked in solicitude to his long-suffering whether he was of the opinion that what he was describing regarding Lojban could lead to something insightful about logic and linguistics, and therefore publishable.

I would have thought that he agrees
that your confidence in him is well-placed.

I hope so.

And for all that we disagree, I have confidence that you probably know what you are talking about too. But I sense that you are moving from logic/linguistics to Lojban, whereas Nick MAY be approaching logic/linguistics FROM Lojban, so that he may get some new insight that may validate Lojban as a linguistic testbed. This is especially important to me in my role of promoter-of-the-Loglan-Project-goals, because it is largely unrealized, and is worth commenting on largely outside of the current jboske/byfy context.

My apologies to anyone who took my comment otherwise.

lojbab

--
lojbab lojbab@lojban.org
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273