Re: [jboske] factivity of nu

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:09:43PM -0000, And Rosta wrote:
> John:
> > Invent Yourself scripsit:
> >
> > > No good! There is only one reality, all others are (equally) unreal
> > > President McGovern, Irish Socrates, and the one where I drank hot
> > > chocolate last night are all equally false. The Verification Principle
> > > shows this
> >
> > How?
> >
> > You really see no difference between the you-drank-hot-chocolate world
> > and the 2 + 2 = 5 (or worse yet, 2 + 2 = Albert) worlds, or the world
> > where all universals are false, or the world where all false statements
> > are true?
>
> I think that's the wrong distinction. Those worlds are impossible,
> because they violate transuniversal principles (that is, they violate
> facts that are independent of particular worlds).
>
> Oh I see: you *did* mean this distinction, as a response to what xod
> said. But let me point out for clarity's sake that the potential/imaginary
> distinction is a distinction among worlds that are not impossible.

They're only impossible according to certain world-accessibility
relations. (As i'm sure you're aware).

bool
xods_world_accessibility_relation(world w1, world w2)
{
return false;
}

wee

> I doubt I can persuade xod to accept any of that, though, except by
> pointing out that it is an ontology that many people would like to
> be able to express, even if xod finds it deluded.

However, xod of course uses such expressions in his day to day
speech, no doubt.

--
Jordan DeLong - fracture@allusion.net
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u