Re: [jbovlaste] [lojban] Changing the English definition of “fi'i” on jbovlaste.

On Monday, September 16, 2013 4:08:52 AM UTC+4, gejyspa wrote:
  I don't actually use "You're welcome" and "You are welcome" interchangeably, despite the fact that one is, logically speaking, only a contraction of the other.  I would never use the latter as a response to "Thank you" Nonetheless, I do agree  that the proposed changes are appropriate, and should be made.

  (But this really belongs on the jbovlaste gorup, not the main)

i ma tcidu lo jbovlaste girzu notci vau paunai
i ku'i la'aru'e srana si'a lo bypyfyky girzu

          --gejyspa

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Wuzzy <alm...@aol.com> wrote:
I think the definition of “fi'i” on jbovlaste is just wrong.

The current definition is:
> vocative: hospitality - inhospitality; you are welcome/ make yourself
> at home.
This definition contradicts itself, since “You’re welcome!”/“You are
welcome!” is a response to “Thank you”, and is NOT used to indicate
hospitality. A simple “Welcome!” is used for that instead. According to
the CLL <http://dag.github.io/cll/13/14/>, clearly the “Welcome!”
meaning is actually meant by “fi'i” and not the “You’re welcome!”
meaning.  But there are some Lojbanists that seem to confuse that. Part
of the confusion may be caused by this definition on jbovlaste.

I propose the following new definition:
> vocative: hospitality - inhospitality; “Welcome! / Make yourself at
> home.

I propose to add the following notes for extra clarity:
> {fi'i} does not mean “You’re welcome”. For “You’re welcome!” (as a
> response to “Thank you!”/{ki'e}), use {je'e} instead.
Probably a link to the relevant part of the CLL
<http://dag.github.io/cll/13/14/> could be added as well (if that
haven’t already happened).

Normally, I make changes to jbovlaste directly, but I make an exception
for cmavo and gismu, because messing with their definitions is serious
business. I want to hear your opinions first.

--
Wuzzy
XMPP: Wuz...@jabber.ccc.de