[lojban] CHAT: Strange Powers

Apologies for the self-indulgent crosspost.

I finally nailed down the correct text of the Strange Powers quotation
I've been mangling all these years.  Kudos to ibooks.net for reprinting
Cordwainer Smith's _Norstrilia_.

The Lord Redlady leaped to the middle of his own floor.  He was no
prancing Earthman putting on a show.  He was the old Instrumentality itself,
surviving with raw weapons and raw brains.  In his hand he held a
*something* which none of them could see clearly.

"Murder," he said, "will be done this moment if anybody moves.  I will
commit it.  I will, people.  Move, and try me.  And if I do commit murder,
I will arrest myself, hold a trial, and acquit myself.  I have strange
powers, people.  Don't make me use them.  Don't even make me show them."
The shimmering thing in his hand disappeared.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There