Re: [lojban] Lojban question

On Thursday 26 February 2004 17:16, stewartberntson@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is anything being done on a speech-recognition grammer for Lojban?
> Since the language designed for understandability in high-noise
> environments, it could be perfect for use as a remote speech
> interface (i.e. computer has a problem, calls the owner's cell
> (using SAPI likely), the owner could tell the computer what to do in
> lojban, which would reduce the errors in recognition with similar
> words (for example, reboot and refresh or something like that)

I don't think Lojban actually is more noise-tolerant than other languages.
The gismu list was designed so that two gismu would not differ in the final
vowel (except for brod*) or by one similar-sounding consonant in the same
position, but that didn't keep me from mishearing {kansa} as {tamca} on a
jbofongri call where the bandwidth was low. {ractu} and {ratcu} both
designate mammals and can easily be confused. The Queen and the Duchess in
Alice respectively noltruni'u and noltroni'u. {pixra} "picture" can be
confused with {spixra} "mosaic". {ko'a} through {ko'u} ("he", "she", "it",
but assigned arbitrarily, not by gender) differ only in the second vowel,
which is usually unstressed (if it's stressed and followed by a brivla of
more than two syllables, the word split can be misheard unless a pause is
inserted). Substitution of /'/ for /x/ or one consonant for another which
changes the initial-cluster status of a consonant pair can move word
boundaries. And so on.

phma

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GSaulB/TM