Subject: Re: [lojban] Final clubs - a basket demonstration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:58:52 EST

Well, if you start with a totally non-exclusive club (compatible with every 
club) then you get all of the remaining clubs in the "rest" basket and 
intuitively have the wrong club in the final set as well (it is not 
preclusive, but is final only because it is alone). Now, I suppose that the 
point is that, if there is a final club, then there is no such unexclusive 
club (given our symmetrical exclusiveness) but, in fact, this is not so, 
since only membership in final clubs is exclusive, so that such a club -- so 
long as it is not final -- is possible. And, also possible if it is the only 
final club.
Back to maximally proclusive clubs again. The solution is not with the 
intersection -- as previously noted -- but with any such set. How to pick 
which one: the largest (or, this being Yale, the smallest), if there is one, 
or the one which is first in alphabetic order (clubs have unique names after 
all, so this is a well-ordering) or the one with the highest prestige (again 
this is Yale). Any of these will give a unique reading, so there are 
different sets of rules, each of which works. 
pc