Subject: Re: [lojban] RECORD: lojban web sites and related matters

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:07:25 -0400

At 04:54 AM 04/21/2000 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>In addition to the all-Lojban chat at 2451657.46-.58 at EFNet#lojban
>there are a Lojban Web Ring centered at 
>http://decadezero.org/lojban_webring.html
>go to this site and click on the link to join

Note that you "join" a webring when you have a web page about Lojban that 
you wish to add to the ring. You can use that address just to see what 
sites are on the ring. All of the major Lojban sites are on the ring and 
therefore have links to other sites on the ring.

>a site http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/hezekiah/lojban which has either been
>taken down or soon will be but which can be mined for useful material

It is down, but Evguenie Sklyanin's pages (of which there is a copy on the 
official site, points to a replacement that has what I believe is a mirror 
of the complete contents.

A summary of Web sites really needs to identify Sklyanin's pages and note 
that they point to many many more than you've listed here.

I also think that Veijo's Helsinki site belongs on even a short summary 
list. Some have said that they prefer it to the official site, and it has 
mostly of the same materials, though some in perhaps more pleasing formats.

>the official web pages, at www.lojban.org, revised in mid february and tweaked
> occasionally since (the parser may still be out of date).

parser3.zip under files/software/parser is the current parser executable 
for MS-DOS. I don't think we have source up for that parser (which can be 
compiled for other systems); at least John Cowan never told me that he put 
it up (I asked him to), so the roadmap file is inaccurate in saying it is.

in the main software directory, gloss3-2.zip also has the parser for MS-DOS 
bundled with the Glosser. This is also an MS-DOS program, but no one has 
reported how poorly it runs under emulatation.

I will note in passing that Nora has been working this week on finally 
getting a new version of LogFlash 2, which teaches the rafsi and 
lujvo-making in a manner similar to LogFlash 1 (gismu) and LogFlash 3 
(cmavo). The original version has not worked since we completely changed 
the gismu list from the TLI Loglan format back in 1989, and has been low 
priority because until recently, I was the only one who had ever used it or 
seemed interested enough in LogFlash to use it. Now that we have had a few 
people complete LogFlash 1, there is a reasonable justification for the 
time it is taking her to get it updated. She may have a beta version for 
people to play with as early as the end of this weekend, but no 
promises. This will be a DOS TurboPascal program like the other LogFlash 
versions. She has toyed with the idea of redoing the programs in Visual 
Basic, but that is a major undertaking just as would be any other system 
port, as pc mentioned above.

> The programs given are all very MSDOS and have not bee successfully 
> translated to other system (but attempts are welcomed).

LogFlash has been made to run under emulation on other systems. As noted 
above, i don't know about the glosser or other programs.

> Most wishlist items for this site need to be generated
> by those who want them, as lojbab is tied up with other things.

Yes!!!

>(the old sites at columbia,edu seem totally defunct)

Yes. Likewise Yale.

>an archive of list traffic at 
>http://www.topcities.com/Arts/bugathlon/lojban.html 11000 messages, 36M 
>of text, threaded and linked, up to date to at least mid
>February

I think that the merged egroups/onelist site now has a good threaded and 
linked HTML list probably as good as this one at least for the period it 
covers; no idea on relative speeds. What is needed is a replacement 
downloadable by month text archive. The last two years on the Lojban 
official site was built from the data on the onelist and egroups premerger 
data that was also used to make the topcities site mentioned above, but the 
unmerged data showed some missing messages in each archive, so a several 
megabytes of space is tied up in having two files for each month. A 
volunteer who will create a new set of files for the period covered by the 
egroups archive is wanted. I suggest transferring the files to me using 
the egroups file space for Lojban List.

>a dictionary in HTML at : http://www.dria.de/lojban/
>and, of course, [email-masked] (does that have to be @egroup.com?), 
>the
>lojban-only mail list

Yes, all "onelist" should now be egroups, though the old address will 
forward indefinitely so don't worry if you use the old one.

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)