Subject: Re: [lojban] slashdot.org gives Lojban a push

From: "Daniel Gudlat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:40:00 +0200

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> I just found out that Lojban was merely mentioned in a topic of
discussion
> on slashdot.org a few days ago. The result has been a phenomonal set
of
> hits (not to mention a discussion thread that was around 400K of
download,
> though relatively little of that was about Lojban).

That's known as the "slashdot effect". Well, more correctly, the
slashdot effect pertains to the downing of web servers that are well
suited to the load normally imposed on them, when those servers get hit
by a million geeks in one day after the site was mentioned in a slash
dot front article.

> The following, where I respond to Don Harlow, who told me about it,
gives
> the URL and the stunning hit numbers. If any significant percentage
of
> these turns to Lojban List subscriptions or book orders, we will
shortly be
> drowning in new people.

Don't count on it, but it's entirely possible that the number of
subscribers to the lojban list on egroups will double in the coming
weeks...

<Donald Harlows message snipped>

> [sound of jaw crashing through floor]
>
> I almost blew by this, since I did not have time to look at Web pages
> tonight. But I looked at the site, and then I looked at our Web page
> statistics. Then came the sound just mentioned.
>
> On April 29-30 some 7500 different sites looked at our Web pages, with
a
> total downloaded bandwidth of over 1 gig. This is about what we have
been
> getting in a year. And it is presumably going to continue today.

Experience the power of slashdot, the /. Yeah! ;-)

> Oh, kinda interesting is that the hits on the 29th came from 63
different
> country domains, including such places as Christmas Island and Niue.

Hmm, we may finally get a truly international audience on the list. This
may prove interesting. Three cheers to slashdot if it really happens!

> I am not sure I ever heard of slashdot.org before this. But
> obviously a lot of people read it seriously.

You betcha. It's THE geek site on the internet. And your comment above
disproves the alleged geekiness of lojban: How can lojban be a geek
language when the head of the LLG doesn't even know about /. ?

Bye,
--
Daniel "Gudy" Gudlat
[email-masked]

No one pays me enough to speak for them, so I only speak for myself.