Subject: Re: sounds

From: "Arnt-Richard Johansen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:00:56 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Andrew Uhl <uhl.17@o...> wrote:
> Hi, i'm new to Lojban, having discovered it the other day. My 
> question is, are there sounds of people speaking the language?

Yes, there are a few. You can find some links at 
http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~sklyanin/lojban-links.html#sound. There you 
can hear Nick Nicholas' short greeting, Robert Rapplean's Lojban
tapes 
(some 20-50 individual gismu), and a story from an (official?) Lojban 
tape (by Bob and Nora?).

I would also like to mention Swiftrain's recordings of his own poems 
at http://www.sudval.org/users/swifty/lojban/, and some of my own 
small sound recordings at 
http://people.fix.no/arj/lojban/test/sentences.html. I asked for 
feedback on them a couple of months ago, but so far I haven't got any.

There is a slight difference in the pronunciation of Lojban's /u/. 
Rapplean, SwiftRain, Bob & Nora pronounces it more like English "oo", 
but Nick Nicholas and I use the Romance "u".

The reference grammar appears to believe that they're the same sound.

co'o mi'e tsali