Subject: Lojbanizing my (nick)name

From: Lalo Martins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 06:20:24 -0300

Hi all :-)

First let me introduce myself.

I'm starting to learn Lojban; primarily out of personal
interest in linguistics and the international language ideal,
but also in practice to use it in a work of fiction (writing
the alien text in Lojban will give me two instant benefits - a
consistent "alien" language and the "feeling" that they think
differently and see the word trough a different POV).

BTW, for the stats, I'm in Brazil. Portuguese is my first
language and English is the only other language I can really
communicate on, altough I have skimmed trough esperanto, german
and spanish on different stages of my life. OTOH I can program
in about 10 computer languages, so Lojban is a kind of
adventure - something like a human language and a computer
language ;-)

Now to the point.

Well, looks like the first step is to "lojbanize" my name - but
I don't actually use my name in written text in normal
situations, I use Lalo instead, which starts with "La"...

Is "la" only illegal in cmene when it is followed by a
consonant or i?

This probably leaves me two choices - {laylun} or {lylun}. I
like the first better, is it legal? ({ay} is probably awful for
most people to pronounce, I think it'd sound like something
between american "uh" and "ah" with the correct accent)

I'd also like to have a lojbanized version of my IRC nickname -
Bastet - but not literally (cmene-ly). In the context I use it,
it means "cat person" (like a werewolf, but with a cat instead
of wolf). Anyone wants to suggest a lujvo for that?

[]s,
|alo
+----
--
Hack and Roll ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo mailto:[email-masked]
pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG) --- http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar