Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban / Most translated Web Page

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:50:34 -0400

At 01:13 PM 05/08/2000 +0000, you wrote:
> > As I just said about some other meshugash, this "logical" has nothing 
> to do
> > with Lojban being a logical language, and so that line of chat is 
> irrelevant
> > here. The pattern of relevance for the order of things is consistently
> > throughout the language "most used first" (or "least used last") so 
> long as
> > it is consistent with the basic design.
>
>wrong.
>
>The structure of lojban tanru is like yyyy-mm-dd: central part in the
>end, delimiting peripherals prepended (or elided) as far as necessitated
>by the context.

A date is not a tanru; it is more similar to a name. You seem to be 
arguing on the basis of restriction, and Lojban restricts using relative 
clauses/phrases (poi/pe/po/po'u) which can go either before or after a 
sumti but are less marked after the sumti. In general, restrictive 
information goes later in the sentence (tanru being an exception, but 
turning a tanru into a relative clause also moves the restriction to the 
right in default).

lojbab
----
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org (newly updated!)