Subject: Re: [lojban] re: nazycau gerku and najyzme

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:14:35 +0200

la pycyn cusku di'e

> Is it time for the occasional worry about the lack of redundancy (= the 
> packedness of some word spaces) in Lojban?

I don't really think that Lojban does lack redundancy. I'm not sure 
what you mean by packedness of word spaces, but I don't think it's 
true if you mean that basically every word is necessary. Lojban has 
many words which define grammatical structure unambiguously but 
nevertheless are rarely needed to understand the sentence. Take 
for example words like 'va'o', 'ri'a', etc. These are basically always 
followed by 'le nu', and thus 'le nu' is redundant, except in a strict 
lojban grammatical definition. In addition, if the language really 
does lack necessary redundancy somewhere, it has enough 
machinery that its speakers should have no problem inventing the 
necessary redundancy. For example, I find that I sometimes add 
redundant FA's, especially when talking about the third place of 
'knows/opines/intuits/etc. x2 about x3', maybe because the 
redundancy makes it easier to interpret.

co'o mi'e adam