Subject: Re: [lojban] Logflash

From: "Robert A. McIvor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 21:32:51 -0400

At 7:34 -0400 12/5/00, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
>>I want to be able to use an English synonym found in the given definition
>>instead of the canonical word. For instance, for klama, either
>>"come" OR "go". The frustration over feeling punished for giving the
>>correct idea but the wrong word has postponed my Logflash usage until I
>>bother to go through the list and remove the words I already know, such as
>>klama.
>
>The reason for using just one is that, after you have mastered the Lojban
>to English direction, you are given the English to Lojban direction, and
>only the keyword is given.
>
The Loglan equivalent program has always permitted synonyms in the L->E
directions. That one keyword is used for the E->L direction has never
caused any
problem that I know of, but requiring to remember the exact E word was
sufficiently
annoying that we thought it important to permit synonyms. The synonyms are
also
included in a separate line in the E->L presentation. (This also clarifies
for the user if
the E keyword has a secondary meaning, as a large percentage of the
commoner E words
do.

Sincerely,
Robert A. McIvor
([email-masked])