Subject: RECORD: emotions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 04:54:38 EDT

Note the difference between saying you have an emotion and expressing that 
emotion. The first is either true or false, the second is neither, but 
operates at a more basic level, displaying the emotion, not talking about it. 
In English, we often use the form of claims for expressing. This is not 
good Lojban in either direction: to express emotions we should use UI, to 
make claims we should use bridi. Expressions with bridi will be 
inappropriate usually (check it out with a significant other), claims with UI 
will fail to claim. 
The instant case here was how to say "I miss you" to the wife who is in the 
hospital while the husband is at work. This looks like a call for expression 
and so {be'uro'i} [absence emotion] with o'unai [stress], o'e [closeness], 
a'a [attentive], and of course .iu and dai with another attitudinal to 
indicate empathic identification with how she is feeling (oiro'udai - empathy 
with her pain). On the other hand, simply claiming that you miss her, 
something like {mi kanydji do} (but, as we know from Honey, this is not quite 
the same, since he has to add that he longs to be with her after saying he 
misses her) suffices (maybe {caudri}would be better? x1=c1=d1, x2=c2=tu'a 
d2).