Subject: Re: [lojban] le ga'ifanta

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:43:06 EDT

In a message dated 00-05-21 11:00:26 EDT, you write:

<< Subj: Re: [lojban] le ga'ifanta
Date: 00-05-21 11:00:26 EDT
From: [email-masked] (Invent Yourself)
To: [email-masked]

On Sat, 20 May 2000 [email-masked] wrote:

> In a message dated 00-05-20 16:52:19 EDT, you write:
> 
> << > 
> > The concept of the freeze is that we will not even take ideas, propose 
> them 
> > or debate them during the time of the freeze (which is open-ended - it 
is 
> a 
> > 5 year MINIMUM in which the 5 years starts only after the books are all 
> > published, which still has not occurred yet).
> 
> 
> la'e di'u nibli le du'u le ga'ifanta na cfari .i ja'o ro ca zifre le nu
> galfi >>
> 
> le pamei na drani .i le nanca mumoi ba cfari teta'i le nu le cukta cu 
bredi 
> .i ku'i le ga'ifanta pu cfari teta'i le se jdice be fi ri.
> 

.i ja'o do natfe le tu'a la bab>>
Nope, just interpreting him in the light of events. The freeze has been in 
effect for some years now -- I even remember having a meeting or two to vote 
necessary changes to save the grammar. It will remain in effect until at 
least five years after the books are published. Remember that the purpose of 
baselining and the freeze is to have a stable language we can learn and work 
with before we start fiddling around, some that Institute Loglan has never 
officially achieved (and often not in reality neither). This means that when 
the books are written they describe the language that we have learned and 
that is still in use, not something that used to be or we hope to come 
(various version of Loglan 1 did both of these). It is hard to hit a mioving 
target so the LLG target will stand still until it has been described and 
lived with at least five years. I can speak to the desirability of this -- 
or at least the disaster of not: I use "laldo," I have for forty years. The 
last time I had occasion to lojban "old," I remembered there had been a 
revolution and looked up the new word. Unfortunately, I forgot there had 
been at least one more revolution, so that word also got "ki'a." This sort 
of thing can discourage a person from pursuing Lojban if it become a regular 
feature of the learning experience. So, the freeze is on and will stay on 
for the foreseeable future.
Notice, however, that the fact that no changes may be proposed or considered 
has not stopped anyone from discussing them, nor should it. It just means 
that no official notice is taken of the discussion, even if it reaches 
gi-normo proportions -- short of showing that the grammar doesn't work. So 
far, such proportions have not happened with any discussed change -- due 
partly to the list's natural perversity, partly to the good sense of the 
original designers and the corresponding clunkiness of the discussed 
modifications. But even if the really good idea does come along, it will 
just be filed away, to resurface at the designated time.