Subject: Re: [lojban] Help with fiction

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:03:18 -0400

>At 04:42 PM 05/20/2000 -0400, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>> >>{mipri girzu}? {sivni girzu}?
>> >
>> >You have presented reasons why they are not necessarily a tradition
>> >"cabal". With Lojban, they have decide just what they are trying to say.
>>
>>Why? It's a name. If I call myself "la carmi gusni misno", a
>>literalist translation of 'Robin', to wit, "Bright Fame", I am _not_
>>nescessarily saying that I am a bright light nor than I am famous, let
>>alone that I am a bright light type of famous, whatever that may mean,
>>any more than a person with the last name Bear is asserting their
>>bear-like qualities.
>
>I am mystified by the problem then - why don't they just call themselves 
>"la kabal" or even "la cabal" if they are not interested in the 
>connotations? 

<nod> True.

>And if they are interested in connotations, then my point is that they
>have to decide which ones they want to convey and choose the name that
>conveys them.

But your original comment was to the effect that if they're not really a
secret group, they shouldn't have a name that says they are. I opine
<grin> that the facetious, tounge in cheek humour of having such a name
is just fine in lojban, and that to say it's not is to think like a
computer, more or less.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_