Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Robin on cmene

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:14:45 EDT

In a message dated 00-06-08 12:02:15 EDT, rowbean writes:

<< That might be a cultural thing about who "owns" a name.>>

It seems to be fairly universal -- the benamed does. If it is someone else 
-- the elders or the community,say, getting it right becomes even more 
important, since it affects the fabric of the whole family or society. 

<<I used to try and get people to say /dao/ instead of /tao/ then gave up
and accepted that "Tao" was English for dao4. I still get pissed off by
the fact that BBC announcers can't pronounce "Beijing" though! >>

I suspect that Americans have it even worse, thanks to two siamese cats, both 
called lb /tei,ou/ -- in "That Darned Cat," with Hayley Mills yet, and "The 
Incredible Journey." We have been helped a bit by some books with names like 
"A Taoist on Wall Street" where the joke is made explicit (Dow-Jones Index is 
a standard reporting device for the state of the American Stock Exchange). 
And cheer up, BBC newsreaders are not the last word in linguistic nor 
journalistic excellence (contrary to the usual ex-pat Brit beliefs) and they 
have got to be better than some of ours who are still stuck on the royal 
legume version.

To Michael on LiPo, remember that "roshi" is LaoTzu said japonically.