Subject: Re: lujvo

From: "Alfred W. Tüting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:42:54 -0000

la pycyn cusku

> Why you need to include trats with formations. I, performing
poorly as a 
> good Anglo- Catholic, never even thought of that reading -- 
> and wondered what a pop music star had to do with it all.
> For the role of a godmother, "god-mother" is not a good 
> word; for the Theotokos it is probably about right ... 

I'm wondering too how a popstar (or any woman) can have a name like
that. I just wanted to have a Lojban equivalent to Italian 
"Madonna" (ma donna=my lady/mistress; having a fixed - first of all
Roman-Catholic - meaning, comparable to German "Unsere 
liebe Frau..."). The same meaning has "Madre di Dio", "Madre de
Dios", "Maica Domnului", "Isten-anyja" or "Gottesmutter". So, it 
seems quite natural to translate it that way into Lojan as it
verbally means the *real* mother of God (=Jesus Christ). The Greek 
"Theotokos" has exactly the same meaning of "giving birth to God"
(hence mother of God). There indeed is no other meaning for 
"Madonna"! It's just the question how to convey this meaning into
Lojban. (Since /mamta/ isn't necessarily meant biologically, why 
not /seljbecevni/?).

> No, eggplants don't grow on trees, which is why I scratched them...

Oh excuse - I didn't get it for my poor English!

> Fu'ivla for eggplants are fine, ... Something "brinjal," the home
language of most of my eggplant recipes, 
> would work well.

(la pier. cusku di'e)

> For eggplant, I'd use a fu'ivla. The only descriptive name I know
of for it is "eggplant" itself (which properly refers to the white >
> kind, Solanum esculentum); all others are variants of Sanskrit
"vatinganah": badinjan, aubergine, brinjal, S. melongena,
> melenzana, mad apple (misinterpretation of "melenzana" as "mala
insana"). Pick any you want and add "spaty" or "gruty" to the
> beginning of it.

In German it's 'Aubergine' or 'Eierfrucht' (eggfruit), in Romanian
it's more special: they're called 'vinete' (lb: VInete), which is 
'(the) purple ones'. In the same manner tomatoes are 'rosii' (lb:
roci), '(the) red ones' and the long-shaped yellow-green paprikas 
are named by 'ardei' (lb: arDEI), '(the) burning (hot) ones'. So why
not zirspa? ;) Don't they also taste like zirspa!
BTW, a fine and delicious dish is Romanian 'musaca de vinete' (lb:
musaKA). It's like Turkish 'imam bayildi' (about lb: ba,iyldY).

.aulun.