Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:18:28 -0400

"=?iso-8859-1?q?Alfred_W._T=FCting?=" writes:
>la pycyn cusku
>
>> Why you need to include trats with formations. I, performing
>poorly as a 
>> good Anglo- Catholic, never even thought of that reading -- 
>> and wondered what a pop music star had to do with it all.
>> For the role of a godmother, "god-mother" is not a good 
>> word; for the Theotokos it is probably about right ... 
>
>I'm wondering too how a popstar (or any woman) can have a name like
>that. I just wanted to have a Lojban equivalent to Italian 
>"Madonna" (ma donna=my lady/mistress; having a fixed - first of all
>Roman-Catholic - meaning, comparable to German "Unsere 
>liebe Frau..."). The same meaning has "Madre di Dio", "Madre de
>Dios", "Maica Domnului", "Isten-anyja" or "Gottesmutter". So, it 
>seems quite natural to translate it that way into Lojan as it
>verbally means the *real* mother of God (=Jesus Christ). 

Umm, while I agree with the point that individual users of lojban need
not be culturally neutral, I would strongly suggest using 'le' for any
word so intended. I, for one, am not impressed by the phrase "the
*real* mother of God (=Jesus Christ)".

Speak for yourself, thanks.

>There indeed is no other meaning for "Madonna"! 

<boggle> You just _gave_ one above! Ma donna = my lady! Nevermind the
singer...

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_