Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: lujvo

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:55:36 -0400

Invent Yourself writes:
>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
>
>> I think I maybe just misunderstand lo. To me, 'lo cevni' sounds like
>> the English phrase 'the One True God(s)', which has a _huge_ mess of
>> underlying assumptions, many of which ignore the beliefs of 2/3s or so
>> of the planet, at least, depending on which god you're reffering to.
>> 
>> Any set of unexamined assumptions that denigrate that many people
>> offends me (a lot of the assumptions westerners make about fat people
>> and health issues related to that, for example), but the fact that it's
>> about religion may make it more touchy. Or maybe it's just because
>> no-one ever stopped me in the street to scream "All fat people are going
>> to die of heart attacks!", whereas having strangers yell at me that
>> "Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the light!"" has happened so
>> often as to be almost commonplace.
>
>
>If a Christian really believes there is only one True God, it behooves
>them to use "lo" to indicate their absolute belief. It is not a relative,
questionable point of debate for them. The fact that you don't happen to
>agree is irrelevant to them.

Preciesly my point. And I'd be just as offended by that assumption in
english.

>If we restrict lo for points which are never debated then lo can never be
>used, since a trivial nonexistence argument can be raised for anything
>(although I will not participate in a discussion fleshing this out).

<nod> I'm not saying it _shouldn't_ be used in that case, just that I
reserve the right to get all bitchy about it.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
... stripped of our uniqueness as human beings by Darwin, exposed to our
own inadequacies by Freud, ... Power -- "the ability to bring about our
desires" -- is all that we have left. --- Michael Korda, _Power!_