Subject: Re: [lojban] Names of characters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:17:31 -0400

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 03:23:16AM +0200, Elrond wrote:
> 
> > " - lubu
> won't "lubu" be parsed as "lu bu" (and probably make the following
> ungrammatical) ? 
> The jbofi'e goes crazy with the even bridi "zo lubu cu valsi".

I thought the reference grammar said that 'bu' overrides just about everything.
If not, that'd totally ruin my concept of 'zoibu'.

> > ( - tobu
> > ) - toibu
> same as "lubu" ?
> 
> > @ - abubu (?)
> I never thought that "@" had anything to do with "a"... At least not in
> the phonological sense...
> I may be wrong, but isn't there more obvious meaning of the "@" that could
> be used for its name ?

Well, it basically stands for the English word 'at'. This doesn't make the
translation to Lojban well, because it can represent location (like in an
e-mail address) or a property of some objects (like the price 'each' of
something: 4 apples @ 25 cents each). Anyway, I get the feeling that the symbol
came about because of the 'a' in 'at'.

-- 
Rob Speer