Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Computing in lojbanistan

From: Major <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:43:35 +0800

[email-masked] writes:

> Sometime within the last year (since I started keeping records) someone 
> assured us that 'lb' stood for Lojban in some ISO-long-string-of-numbers

The only ISO-long-string-of-numbers I know of for language codes
are ISO 639-1 (2 letter codes) and ISO 639-2 (3 letter codes).

"lb" is Luxemburgish in ISO-639-1

Neither 639-1 nor 639-2 have a code for Lojban.

The Library Of Congress is the registration authority for 639-2,
details are available at

http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639jac.html

The criteria for 639-2 registration is

> [...] evidence that one agency holds 50 different documents in the
> language or that five agencies hold a total of 50 different
> documents among them in the language. Documents include all forms of
> material and is not limited to text.

If Lojban fits the criteria, registration could be online at

http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639-2form.html

> Do these pronouncements change so rapidly?

Once a code is allocated it is very rare for it to change.

Major