Subject: RE: [lojban] Complements and adjuncts

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:19:06 PDT

la kolin cusku di'e

>So you're arguing that all expressed terbri are complements (as well as
>omitted terbri of the brivla and sumti omitted after sumti tcita?) That
>would fit with their free ordering.

Yes, I think that's what I'm saying.

>How then would we express adjuncts? By attaching them to the whole bridi
>(following vau for example)?

I don't think there can be adjuncts as such, meaning some way
to attach a BAI directly to the bridi such that when you say
{BAI noda} you are not negating the whole predicate. It is
I think fundamental to Lojban that all quantified variables
can go straight to the prenex in their order of appearance.

There are of course ways to express adjunctive notions, for
example by using a separate bridi or by making a subordinate
bridi out of the main one.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com