Subject: Re: [lojban] Opposite of za'o

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:17:27 PDT

la pier cusku di'e

>"still" isn't "za'o", it's "pujeca".

These have been proposed before:

still: pujeca
no longer: pujecanai
already: punaijeca
not yet: punaijecanai

But to me they miss the most fundamental component of
these words, the "beyond expectation" part.
These should not be mere time tenses, and besides
they can also be used with past or future (still was,
already will be, no longer will be, wasn't yet, etc)
which become very inconvenient (pupunaijepucanai?).

>"za'o" means that an action continues
>after it's completed, not that it is still going on.

"still" certainly has a component of "beyond expectation",
and the expectation is completion for actions that could be
completed. Maybe {za'o} won't do for every single case of
"still", but mostly it sure does.

This beyond expectation component of "still" is used in
English also for non-temporal situations, like "those who
take the greatest care still make mistakes" or "a still
more difficult problem".

>I can be in High Point,
>with my car still running, and be still on my way to Pineville even though 
>mi
>na za'o klama py.

Why would you say that you were still on your way, if there
was no expectation that you should no longer be on your way?

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com