Subject: RE: [lojban] Opposites (was: opposite of za'o)

From: "Colin Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 00:15:00 +0100

If I met "ba'anai" (and didn't recall this oddity), I would be inclined to
try and interpret it as "I don't really expect this, but it could happen"

****************************************************************************
****
Colin Fine
"Don't just do something! Stand There" - from 'Behold the Spirit' workshop
[email-masked]
****************************************************************************
****

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert LeChevalier [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 03 July 2000 08:43
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] Opposites (was: opposite of za'o)

At 09:49 AM 07/02/2000 +0100, Colin Fine wrote:
>I just noticed what an odd word "opposite" is in this context.
>Or any lojbanic context. I have difficulty with a number of the UInai
>glosses, but my particular se mabla is ba'anai, where the scale on which it
>has been determined negation is to run is to my mind bizarre.

It is bizarre to my mind too, and I came up with it. But at that point it
was a matter of efficient use of cmavo space for something that was
primarily an evidential (though I think someone argued for one of the three
points on the scale being attitudinal) in Lojban. I think that there is
only one other evidential that has a defined negation and hence an implied
scale; it is arguable than none of them should be expressed as negations
even etymological ones, except that the grammar of UI allows the things to
be negated, so we might as well use it.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lonely? Get Firetalk!
Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5477/4/_/17627/_/962610153/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]