Subject: Re: [lojban] A defense of dead horse beating

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:49:03 -0400

And Rosta wrote:

> Hold on, though. I can't think what use {da voi broda} would
> be, but surely it's not the same as {su'o le broda}, because
> the latter entails that there is a referent for {le broda}.

I think they are the same, and both entail a referent. Using
"da" = "there exists at-least-one" surely means that it has a
referent.

> And isn't {ro lo broda} merely the same as {lo broda}?

No, lo broda is su'o lo broda. OTOH, le broda is ro le broda.

> I still don't see a gadri-based way of getting (the admittedly
> useless) {da voi broda}, though, which, after all, is not a bad
> thing.

Hmm. What do you think "da voi broda" means, that would make it
useless?

-- 

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)