Subject: Re: [lojban] force and pressure

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:00:46 -0400

>>There is at least one dimensionness (?) that corresponds to two different
>>quantities. The dot product of a newton and a meter is a joule of energy; 
>>the
>>cross product is a newton-meter of torque.
>
>Yes, although calling them different quantities is a little
>arbitrary. It's like saying that width and displacement are
>different quantities. They are, but so what?

Width and displacement are the same quantity. Heat, energy, and work are the
same quantity. Energy and torque, though they have the same dimensions, are NOT
the same quantity; energy is a scalar, torque a vector.

>>There are dynes and ergs. There are also dunes in ergs, but if I went 
>>there,
>>I'd be deserting you.
>
>where is ergs?

In the Sahara.

phma