Subject: Re: [lojban] Beyond Whorf: "things," "qualities," and the origin of nouns and adjectives

From: "James F. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> You wouldn't say in English that the bottle contents are
> still bottle contents when outside of the bottle, at least
> not for long. Would you say that {se botpi} are still {se botpi},
> perhaps being the contents of the empty set?

"Add a can of (our product) to your car's gasoline and /it/ will do wonders
for your engine." "It" was formerly in the can, but while it's doing
wonders for your engine, which takes several days, it's outside. In
English we play fast and loose with tenses. A pedant would say: "...and
the former can contents will do wonders..." But I'm willing, at least in
this context, to leave off "former" and accept the substance as being a
"canful" or "contents of a vessel" even though it's long gone from its
container.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897	FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Internet: [email-masked] (finger for PGP key)
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc