Subject: Re: Saying "also" or "too" in Lojban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:17:47 -0000

Thank you to Invent Yourself and Jorge for replying to my question.

Jorge wrote that "ji'a", the Lojban word for "also", gives different 
meanings in different positions, so that (notwithstanding that I'm 
probably using "prami" incorrectly):

"mi ji'a prami la lojban" means "I (in addition to you) love Lojban."

"i mi prami ji'a la lojban" (what does the initial word "i" here 
mean, by the way?) means "I love Lojban (in addition to there being 
other relations between me and Lojban)."

"i mi prami la lojban ji'a" means "I love Lojban (in addition to 
loving other things)."

"i ji'a mi prami la lojban" means "In addition to other things 
stated, I love Lojban."

I understand this (except for the initial word "i"), and it seems to 
me to work fine for this example, but it also seems to me that it 
doesn't cover all meanings in some other examples. I suppose the 
obvious example of this, especially after I probably misused "prami" 
last time, is someone saying to you, "I love you", and you wanting to 
say, "I love you too." None of "mi ji'a prami do", "mi prami ji'a 
do", "mi prami do ji'a", or "ji'a mi prami do" have the desired 
meaning (or at least the meaning you presumably desire), do they?

The first seems to me to mean that you love them in addition to 
someone else loving them. Unlike "la lojban", "do" doesn't refer to 
the same person when both of you say it.

The second seems to me to mean that you love them in addition to 
there being other relations between you and them.

The third seems to me to mean that you love them in addition to that 
you love someone else.

The fourth seems to me to mean you love them in addition to the last 
thing you said. "Also, I love you" and "I love you too" don't mean 
the same thing.

And surely none of these mean what you presumably want to mean. So 
how would you say, "I love you too", in Lojban?

Again, thank you in advance for any and all helpful replies.