Subject: Re: [lojban] le stura be la gihuste

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:18:28 GMT

>From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
li'o
>until we
>have committed sufficient lexicon to paper

there are 2 related fallacies here. first, that because RARNYBAU have SO'I 
VALSI & LA LOJBAN doesn't, we need to go madly about CNINO FINTI LE LUJVO 
for every ZE'I SE JINVI that pops into one's STEDU.

IENAISAI. that's a good game, but no more than a game. when we BILGA CO 
CUSKU DA, we will be able to CUSKU DA, because the VE CUSKU FI DA already 
exists, MULNO. back when the prospect of using lojban for international 
patent VE SKICU first came up, i thought, "uh-oh --when my KARCE's voltage 
regulator gave out, it killed the battery; & after i bought a new battery it 
happened again; & i had to get a new alternator finally before i could fix 
the NABMI (or something like that)-- & i wouldn't begin to know how to say 
this BAU LA LOJBAN, much less talk about something which no one else has 
VISKA before..." but of course if i were LOJBO TAVLA with a LOJBO 
KARCYCIKRE, we would be able to work it out... (& we don't need to, BA'E 
until then.)

REMAI, the SMUNI of words is not the SMUNI of words. you don't make a 
translation RATNI by RATNI & expect NAL-babelfishgibberish. there isn't one 
single "word for" anything in lojban. please! my KARCE, my MARCE, my MATRA 
CARCE, my DARGU GUNRO --my MALMABLA MABLA when it won't ZUKTE-- only the 
whole tissue of BANGU makes it possible for this referent-speaking & that 
referent-rolling (or not?), to have any relation at all. which is the 
meaning of meaning BAU LA LOJBAN. which is not, JE'U, the meaning of meaning 
BAU LA GLIBAN, where since we have gobbled up 10 languages' worth of VALSI 
we have had to develop 10,000 sub-nuances to keep them separate...

maybe all i am saying is that to DERXI JMAJI a dictionary of lujvo is simply 
MALGLICO--

GIRMU'I SE XUSRA: "lojban, the language that CKASU CISMA at 
websterization"--

pardon this rant

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com