Subject: Re: [lojban] i shot him dead

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 21:12:29 GMT

>how would the english phrase 'i shot him dead' be rendered into
>lojban?

If you mean the general structure of phrases like "I shot him dead",
"I painted it blue", "I sucked it dry", and so on, then I can see
two approaches. One is to consider them as two placers:
shoot_dead(I,him), paint_blue(I,it), suck_dry(I,it). In this
case you can use a lujvo or a tanru for the modified predicate
word.

The other possibility is to see them as relationships having
three arguments: shoot(I,him,dead), paint(I,it,blue), suck(I,it,dry).
Here the third place is not normally part of the basic gismu,
but it can be easily added with {ja'e}, for example:

mi danda´i ko´a ja'e le nu morsi
I shot him dead.

co'o mi'e xorxes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com