Subject: Lojban names

From: Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:17:52 -0400

At 08:13 AM 08/26/2000 +0000 on IALList, HARLOW wrote, responding to T. Peter:
>Names converted into Esperanto may be
>
>(1) transliterated (if they are originally written in a non-Latin script);
>(2) recoded to match proper pronuncation (if originally written in a Latin
>script);
>(3) assimilated (in either case).
>
>For the most part, you've done (2) below, though not always (Gorbachev and
>Mao have been transliterated; religious terms have been assimilated).

Lojban has a method of doing 1), and indeed does not even need to 
transliterate.
la'o [delimiter] name [delimiter]
where [delimiter] is a Lojban word not found inside the name, separated 
from the name by pauses, allows the inclusion of any name with any script 
or pronunciation convention inside Lojban text, but marking it as a name.

This being such a trivial solution, everyone wants to immediately address 
the problem of 2) for those names that need to be recoded (which generally 
is taken to include most personal and place names to be used in Lojban-only 
text, as opposed to the envelope address that a non-Lojbanist postman must 
read.)

We chose to exemplify Lojban name-making instructions with the examples T. 
Peter used, because they are names that would be generally known to the 
readers as to how they are normally pronounced in English, thereby showing 
the similarities and contrasts between Lojban and English. Unfortunately, 
this has led to the assumption that all names of important people have to 
be recoded.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org