Subject: Re: [lojban] World-historical and religious figures in Lojban

From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Aug 2000 01:19:35 -0000

>From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email-masked]>
>Date: 28 Aug 2000 01:12:44 -0000
>
>>From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
>>Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:31:20 -0400
>>
>>On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, [email-masked] wrote:
>>li'o
>>> As for Caesar, since we know pretty well how he would have said it and this 
>>>knnowledge is pretty widely disseminated, I suspect we go with iulius 
>>>kaisar. Having just read a novel in which Jesus appears in Aramaic, Greek, 
>>>Latin and both P- and Q-Celtic, I find that harder, but come down on balance 
>>>for iecuys.
>>
>>I suggest iecu,ys. Without the slaka bu the uys sounds like "wuss", making y a
>>full vowel and u a semivowel, the opposite of the way it's pronounced in
>>Hebrew. What did the Celts say?

And come to think of it, I've seen it in Hebrew as simply {.iecu}, two
syllables. This may have been a back-formation from Jesu, or maybe an
attempt to obscure the meaning of the name.

~mark