Subject: Re: [lojban] learning lojban

From: "David Twery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:40:01 -0400

From: Garrett Jones <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, 30 August 2000 03:25

> I have just recently begun learning lojban (last friday). I have
> mostly concentrated on memorizing gismu. I have memorized at least 360
> so far. I am only memorizing the words with their x1 places at the
> moment, and i'll do the other places later. One thing that has been
> the most difficult in memorizing the words is their final vowel. As a
> native english speaker, i'm not used to having to know a final-vowel.
> What different approaches has/is everyone taking to learning lojban?

Since English is one of the languages used to make the gismu, most of the
gismu contain two or more letters from the English word.

A lot of times, that final vowel will be somewhere in the English word.

blanu -- blue

xunre -- red

zifre -- free

logji -- logic

I'd also suggest that you not worry too much about the places. Once you
learn the keywords, simply using and reading Lojban will allow you to pick
that up a lot easier. This isn't to say that the place structures are not
important; it's just more important to get a "toehold" on that mountain of a
list.

Learning 360 words in less than a week is an impressive accomplishment. Even
if you cut back to 100 words per week, you should be doing well in Lojban
inside a couple months ... good luck!

--d