Subject: Re: [lojban] Just in case you're interested

From: "James F. Carter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:37:06 -0700 (PDT)

It turned out his home site has a policy against program mailers, or at
least *that* program mailer, in .forward files, which became clear when his
sysop forwarded a bounce message to him.

My version of procmail (3.14) will honor a preset ORGMAIL environment
variable as the name of the system mailbox, or will set it to
/var/spool/mail/$USER (I assume this is adjusted to operating system
idiosyncracies at compile time). But to my knowledge, sendmail doesn't set
this; it considers the mailer to be responsible to decide what file to
put the mail in.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897	FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Internet: [email-masked] (finger for PGP key)
UUCP:...!{ucsd,ames,ncar,gatech,purdue,rutgers,decvax,uunet}!math.ucla.edu!jimc

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Taral wrote:

> On 31 Aug, James F. Carter wrote:
> > 
> > <[email-masked]> had a problem making my .procmailrc example function.
> > I'm guessing here, but it's possible that since he's in a commercial
> > environment, the system mailboxes are not in the usual location of
> > /usr/spool/mail/$USER, and procmail doesn't know about the special
> > location. (At UCLA-Mathnet we also put mailboxes in a special directory,
> > but we have symbolic links so hardwired /usr/spool/mail/$USER still
> > works.) 
> 
> Actually, procmail should deliver to $MAIL by default. Is it being set
> right on your system?
> 
> -- 
> Taral <[email-masked]>
> Please use PGP/GPG to send me mail.
>