Subject: Re: [lojban] samselpla vs. samjva

From: "David Twery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 20:33:27 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Taral <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, 02 September 2000 03:59

Since lujvo aren't standardized, I'd like to suggest a change from
"samselpla" to "samjva". I tend to view "samselpla" (computer type-of
plan) as "computer architecture", whereas "samjva" (computer type-of
rule(s)) really echoes my idea of what a "computer program" is.

Comments?

---

From: dbt

I think some of the other lujvo express various aspects of programming
pretty well, but it's natural that a bunch of computer users would tend to
think of "programming" as "computer programming". That's not just malglico,
but malsamplijbo.

My own favorite is "rucpoi" for "program", since there are more kinds of
programs than computer programs.

pruce porsi
"process sequence"
program

x1 is a program with inputs/users/subjects x2, outputs/results x3, using
programmatic instructions/rules x4 from instruction/rule set x5

It also has a programmish place structure.

So ...

a weight reducing diet (dieter x2, goal weight x3, food choices x4, dietary
rules x5);

keeping kosher (observer x2, adherence to kosher law x3, kosher practices
x4, law x5);

assembling a bicycle on Xmas Eve (parts x2, assembled bike x3, instruction
sequence x4, instruction book x5);

having kinky sex (horn dogs x2, sexual fulfillment x3, particular kinky
stuff x4, all kinky practices or authority x5);

are all examples of "rucpoi". All would be tanru, at least as I would use
them.

Sometimes x4 and x5 seem to be the same, or very close, but with
intellectual programs (computer, course syllabi, etc.) the distinction is
more meaningful.

So, a computer program is "le skami rucpoi". The first two examples might be
"junta nizyjdika rucpoi" and "jdabrodja rucpoi". (jdabrodja [lijda xebro
cidja] = a bad lujvo for "kosher", "religious Hebrew food") And Dr. Ruth
might be described as a "cinse xe rucpoi ctuca" ("zabna" by most people,
"mabla" by Der Laura).

--d