Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: learning lojban [2]

From: John Leuner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 22:58:59 -0200 (GMT+2)

> > I'm at the stage now where I've opted to get a broader knowledge of
> the
> > set of gismu as opposed to 0 errors. 
> > 
> > Right now I'm able to do recognition testing on about 600 words a
> day,
> > getting about 70% on groups of 50. This is much more pleasant than
> the 100
> > or so I was able to learn per day in the beginning. 
> > 
> > The next challenge is to start doing a few hundred words per day in
> > recollection mode.
> 
> Is that learning 600 new words a day or recognizing the words you
> already knew?

No! Just recognition testing. It means I test my recognition (Lojban ->
english) on 600 words. 

Since I've been through the whole set I 'know' them all. (More accurately
'am familiar').

> And does Logflash go both ways (lojban -> english and
> english -> lojban)?

Yes, recognition == (lobjan -> english)
recollection == (english -> lojban)

> I can't try it out right now because the only
> computer i have access to is my work computer here. And is it just
> gismu you're learning or is it also lujvo?

The logflash I'm using just does gismu.

I think it's better to get the gismu well-learnt before going on to lujvo. 

> I could print it out on the company printer here... *glances over his
> right shoulder*

Just do it A/H. I've started using the textbook too (read chapter 1
twice). There's a lot of overlap between the textbook, reference grammar
and mini-lessons, but this is an excellent way of reinforcing stuff that
would be too boring to read twice. 

co'o