Subject: RE: Why no posts?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:42:43 EDT

Well, I suppose it *might* be to give me a chance to sum up a bunch more 
discussions for RECORD.
But many of the discussions of late have been inconclusive (not to mention 
diffuse), so about all I can do is sum up where things are hanging.

To xorxes' two questions about prosumti, it seems that 
{ro prenu cu prami ri} expands as {roda poi prenu zo'u da prami da}
Similarly {ko'a goi le ci cribe cu nerkla le zdani i ko'a viska pa kicne 
le ko'a ckana} seems short for {le ci cribe cu nerkla le zdani i le ci 
cribe viska pa kicne le ckana pe le ci cribe} But the final word is not in.

On complements and adjuncts, the last word seems to be that regular places 
and BAI places are complements but relative clauses are adjuncts.

The problem of Lojban names for people not around to (or just uninterested 
in) chosing their won names comes down to figuring out how to apply the 
priciples involved. The case of Chinese remains the most intractable -- we 
are seeing the same solutions coming around a second time, driven by the 
successors of the problems that led us to give them up the first time. For 
most other languages, we can fall back on a kind of transliteration, but 
pinyin (etc.) does not lend itsleef to that kind of sight-and-sound 
confidence. I think we have gotten to feeling comfortable with Lojban n for 
Chinese ng, but sure about m for n,. And the syllabic sibilants (as near as 
makes no nevermind) resist all plans.

more later -- if these don't get the juices flowing.