Subject: .i mi pacna lenu ...

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:49:19 -0000

.i mi pacna lenu ... (Dr. Martin Luther King)

Reading Nick Nicholas' remarkable translation of this famous speech,
I recalled a vivid discussion on our Chinese Forum about one 
year back: the topic being, how to translate "dare to dream" and
MLK's words into Chinese.
I feel that the lojban term is not close enough to really express the
English original's powerful meaning "I have a dream...!" (there 
is imaginative strength, will, vision etc. in it, that needs to be
expressed). And I'm sure that Lojban is capable enough to do this 
task!
How about something like:
{snebai} (senva+bapli)
x1 determines by vision/dream property x2 to manifest/come true

As lojbab. once pointed out, Lojban forces people to become aware of
the fact that (English/German/French/Italian/Hungarian/
Romanian etc.etc.) expressions like "dream" (Traum
/reve/sogno/álom/vis) *all* share a similar connotion that is
different e.g. 
to Chinese! Using Indo-European-based ALs prevents even from realizing
this difference!

If you'd like to, read the discussion on 

http://www.chinapage.org/guestread-99-7.html 
(go for "Martin Luther King" - the texts are partly in BIG5)

You might see that, due to traditionalism, also (modern) Chinese
seems to be pretty reserved with creating new terms.

I'd like to hear your opinions.  

.aulun.