Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: except the cat

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:29:21 GMT

Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>:

> >3) What has {ku'anai} the power to express just by negating an
> >intersection?
>
>A friend asked that question said he would expect it to return all the
>points where the two sets are not equal, which is _exactly_ the desired
>result. IOW, a set XOR.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all the points where the two
sets are not equal". Do you include points that are not in
either set? If you do, then that is not XOR.

>I think that it's a _WONDERFULLY_ elegant solution.

I think more elegant might be for {ku'anai} to give the
full complement of the intersection, not just XOR.

>Unfortunately, this is _NOT_ the interpretation of nai for non logical
>connectives specified by the book:
>
>The following ``nai'', if present, does not negate either of the things
>to be connected, but instead specifies that some other connection
>(logical or non-logical) is applicable: it is a scalar negation:

That does not seem to preclude {ku'anai} from meaning either
XOR or the complement of the intersection. Both are suitable
"other connections".

>This is _VERY_BAD_, because it means that lojabn _does_not_ have a
>complete set of set operators. Union, intersection, and cartesion
>product are not enough, difference is required.

Personally I think we don't need ku'a, jo'e and the rest of the
set paraphernalia to start with, but since they are there, it
would be reasonable to have a difference too.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.