Subject: Re: [lojban] "zutse" (sit down, or just sit?)

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:12:40 -0500

At 04:51 PM 11/25/2000 +0100, Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
> >> Finally, I've come across "cfatse", which is intended to mean
> >> "sit down". But "zutse" already means "sit down", [...]
>
> >It is glossed as simply `sit' in the gi'uste.
>
>The keyword may be "sit", but the definition says "x1 sits [assumes sitting
>position] on surface x2". That seems to imply that "I sat on the chair for
>two whole hours" can't be translated as "mi zutse le stizu bu'u lo re
>cacra", which apparently means that it took two hours from I was standing
>in front of the chair until I was fully seated.

Note that bracketed text in gismu definitions often is NOT part of the 
definition per se. Many of the words and phrases in brackets are in there 
to show that this is the relevant *root* for a concept in order to show 
permitted range of meaning, and to enable English keyword lists. In many 
such cases the bracketed text phrases will be listed as well in the 
suggested lujvo at the end of the line.

Be that as it may, I understand that the wording may have confused 
people. I did not intend zutse to include "zutse binxo", but used the word 
"assume" not to mean transition to a sitting state, but rather to indicate 
that the position determined the state.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org